Looking to add extra firepower to their run at the Cup, the Rangers made a deal with the Hurricanes for Carolina captain Eric Staalthe day before the NHL trade deadline. The older brother of Rangers defenseman Marc Staal is expected to make his Blueshirt debut tonight on MSG against the Blue Jackets.
Here’s 8 facts about Eric Staal that you should know:
- Staal was drafted second overall by the Hurricanes in the first round of the 2003 NHL Draft.
- The 6-foot-4, 205-pound forward has played both on the wing and at center.
- The former Canes captain made the NHL All-Star Team four times with Carolina — 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011.
- He tallied a career-highs across the board during the 2005-2006 season — 100 points, 45 goals and 55 assists.
- Staal won a Stanley Cup with the Hurricanes in 2006 and produced big numbers in the postseason — nine goals and 19 assists in 25 games during their Cup run.
- The eldest Staal brother was on Canada’s 2010 gold-medal winning team along with Rick Nash and Dan Boyle. He was tied for second on the team with five assists.
- Staal recorded 33 points (10 goals, 33 assists) in 63 games with Carolina this season.
- Through 12 years in the NHL, Staal has compiled 322 goals and 453 assists for 775 points.