|Saturday, Aug. 6||Ohio Machine at NY Lizards||7 PM||MSG+|
LEARN MORE ABOUT MAJOR LEAGUE LACROSSE
- Major League Lacrosse began play in 2001 and was the brain child of a group led by Jake Steinfeld of Body by Jake fame. The winner of the MLL Championship Game receives the Steinfeld Cup in honor of one of the founding fathers of the league.
- The league is currently made up of nine teams: Atlanta Blaze (inaugural season), Boston Cannons, Charlotte Hounds, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Denver Outlaws, Florida Launch, New York Lizards, Ohio Machine and Rochester Rattlers.
- The Chesapeake Bayhawks (originally Baltimore) are the most successful MLL franchise, having won five Steinfeld Cups.
- New York is the current defending MLL champions after beating Rochester, 15-12, in the 2015 title game.
- The reigning MLL MVP is 32-year-old midfielder Greg Gurenlian of the champion New York Lizards. Gurenlian played in 13 regular season games, broke the single-season faceoff win percentage (73.1%) and set a new single-season league record for ground balls with 175.
- Former Rochester Rattler Brodie Merrill won six consecutive Defensive Player of the Year Awards, an MLL record, from 2006-2011.
- This year’s All-Star Game will be played on July 9, 2016 at Cal State Fullerton's Titan Stadium in Orange County, California, marking the first time the event will be held on the West Coast.
- For the first time in league history, two neutral locations will host the 2016 MLL Semi-Final Games (Rafferty Stadium at Fairfield University and the National Sports Center Stadium in Blaine, Minnesota).
- The 2016 MLL Championship Game is slated for August 20 at Fifth Third Bank Stadium at Kennesaw State University in Atlanta.