- Melo attended Towson Catholic High School and was actually cut from the basketball team as a freshman. But he returned for his sophomore year five inches taller and with a new level of confidence and talent. For his senior year, he transferred to Oak Hill Academy in Virginia.
CHECK OUT MELO IN HIGH SCHOOL
- According to scouts, he could have most likely gone right from high school to the NBA, but his mother insisted he go to college.
- He won the 2002 High School All-American Slam Dunk Contest, beating out Amar’e Stoudemire.
WATCH CARMELO IN ACTION
- He was selected third overall by the Denver Nuggets in the 2003 NBA Draft and was named to the All-Rookie team during his 2003-04 rookie season, averaging 21 points and 6.0 rebounds per game.
SEE DRAFT NIGHT PHOTO
- His favorite players are Michael Jordan, Bernard King, and Dr. J.
- In 2003, he launched his own high-end watch and luxury magazine called Haute Life.
READ THE MAGAZINE ONLINE
- In December 2004, he became the third youngest player, behind LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, to reach 2,000 career points.
- He proposed to La La Vazquez on Christmas Day 2004. Their wedding took place in July 2010 and was filmed by VH1 for a reality series called La La’s Full Court Wedding. Carmelo and La La have a son named Kiyan Carmelo Anthony.
SEE A CLIP FROM THE WEDDING
- He was a member of the 2004, 2008, and 2012 USA Olympic basketball teams. Carmelo, David Robinson, and LeBron James are the only players to suit up for Team USA in three straight Olympics.
MELO BREAKS OLYMPIC RECORD
- He donated $3 million in 2007 to Syracuse, his alma mater, for the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center, a practice facility for both the men’s and women’s basketball teams at the University.
MELO RECALLS SYRACUSE MEMORIES
- He has a scar above his left eyebrow from when he fell off a speaker at four years old trying to watch his brother play basketball.
- He is immortalized as a wax figure in the world-famous Madame Tussauds wax museum in New York City.
CHECK IT OUT AND HEAR MELO’S THOUGHTS
- He is afraid of cats, but once bought himself a pet camel.
- He has his own sandwich at the famous Carnegie Deli in New York City. The Melo Sandwich, pastrami, corned beef, salami, bacon, tomato, and Russian dressing on rye bread, is priced at $21.95.
WOULD YOU EAT ‘THE MELO’?