Skip to content
- The characters Mae Mordabito (Madonna) and Doris Murphy (Rosie O’Donnell) are two close friends from New York in the movie.
- Director Penny Marshall was born in the Bronx. She also is a regular visitor to The Garden for Knicks games.
- Penny’s dad, Garry Marshall, who plays Walter Harvery in the film, was born in New York City.
- Rosie O’Donnell was born in Commack, Long Island. She is also a New York Jets fan.
- Tom Hanks, who plays Jimmy Duggan, moved to New York in 1979 to pursue a career in acting.
- Geena Davis, who plays Dottie Hinson, moved to New York in 1979 to become a model after graduating college.
- Bill Pullman, who plays Bob Hinson, is from Hornell, New York and moved to the Big Apple to begin his acting career in the theater.
- Madonna has played Madison Square Garden a multitude of times, including her last concert back on Nov. 12, 2012. After an eight-year residence in London, “The Material Girl” moved back to the Big Apple in 2013.
- In the film, the players of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League visit the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY when a new exhibit is dedicated in their honor.