Michael McLeod, Center
Drafted 12th Overall, 2016 NHL Entry Draft
- McLeod was born on Feb. 3, 1998 in Mississauga, Ontario.
- The 18-year-old center is listed at 6’2″ and 187 pounds by the NHL, and is a right-handed shot.
- McLeod began his professional career with the Toronto Marlboros of the Greater Toronto Hockey League during the 2013-14 season. He recorded 21 goals, 36 assists for 57 points in 33 games.
- He would go on to play for his hometown Mississauga Steelheads of the OHL in the 2014-15 and ’15-16 campaigns.
- In 120 OHL games, McLeod recorded 33 goals and 57 assists for 90 points.
- McLeod won a gold medal with Canada at the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
“Since International Scouting Services pegs the Mississauga, Ontario forward at 13, there’s every possibility for Shero to corral McLeod. At 6-foot-2, 187 pounds, Michael has the goods to be a New Jersey change-maker.
“McLeod is a big, strong skater,” enthuses one scout, “and with skill to boot.”
In 57 games this season, McLeod amassed 61 points, a 32-point upswing from his rookie season. Described by The Hockey News as “a difference-maker,” Michael provides the entire package from an offensive standpoint.
McLeod could be a positive addition to the franchise’s youth movement alongside Pavel Zacha who was drafted sixth overall in 2015. The Hockey News figures McLeod could go at 10, one before Shero’s move.” — Stan Fischler
Nathan Bastian, Right Wing
Drafted 41st Overall, 2016 NHL Entry Draft
- Bastian was born on Dec. 6, 1997 in Kitchener, Ontario.
- The 18-year-old winger played on the same line with New Jersey’s first round pick, Michael McLeod and Alexander Nylander, who went 8th overall to the Buffalo Sabres for the Mississauga Steelheads (OHL).
- Listed at 6’3″ and 207 pounds, Bastian had his best season in 2015-16, recording 19 goals and 40 assists in 64 regular season games.
- Bastian and McLeod are close friends, with Bastian describing himself as McLeod’s social advisor in his Twitter bio.
*New Jersey acquired Beau Bennett from Pittsburgh in exchange for the 77th pick*
Joseph Anderson, RW, USA U-18/USHL (Round 3 – 73rd Overall)
Brandon Gignac, C, Shawinigan/QMJHL (Round 3 -80th Overall)
Mikhail Maltsev, LW, Team Russia U18/Russia-Jr. (Round 4 – 102nd Overall)
Evan Cormier, G, Saginaw/OHL (Round 4 – 105th Overall)
Yegor Rykov, D, SKA 2/Russia-Jr. (Round 5 – 132nd Overall)
Jesper Bratt, LW, Aik/Sweden-2 (Round 6 – 162nd Overall)
Jeremy Davies, D, Bloomington/USHL (Round 7 – 192nd Overall)